From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:35:04 -0400
Would someone be kind enough to translate this info. for me?  It comes from a breast cancer news service.  I'm currently including the following in my diet and want to ensure I'm on the right path:  flax seed oil, ground flax seeds, olive oil, walnut oil, a little butter.  Thanks in advance.  If you do respond, please let me know if I can copy your response to the breast cancer list,
Kath

ABSTRACT: The Role of Dietary Long-Chain N-3 Fatty Acids in Anti-Cancer
    Immune Defense and R3230AC Mammary Tumor Growth in Rats: Influence
    of Diet Fat Composition
    [05/17/2002; Breast Cancer Research and Treatment]

We determined if long-chain n-3 fatty acids fed as part of a: (1)
high polyunsaturated fat diet (currently recommended by several
health agencies) or (2) low polyunsaturated fat diet (representative
of that consumed by a large segment of the North American population)
improved antitumor immune defense and inhibited tumor growth. Rats
were fed one of four semi-purified diets (20% w/w fat) for 21 days
pre- and 17 days post- R3230AC mammary tumor implantation. The
polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acid (P/S) ratio was either 1
(high P/S diet) or 0.35 (low P/S diet). At each P/S ratio, diets
provided long-chain n-3 fatty acids at 0 or 5% w/w of total fat.
Long-chain n-3 fatty acids fed in a high P/S diet did not affect
tumor growth or host immune responses. In contrast, feeding long-chain
n-3 fatty acids in a low P/S diet increased natural killer cell
cytotoxicity, splenocyte nitric oxide and interleukin-2 production,
and the proportion of activated (CD25^+) CD8^+ and CD28^+ cells, but
did not significantly inhibit tumor growth. For both P/S diets, tumor
cells from rats fed long-chain n-3 fatty acids had a higher n-3
content and n-3/n-6 ratio in phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylethanolamine,
and phosphatidylinositol. Furthermore, the magnitude of increase in
n-3 fatty acid incorporation into tumor phospholipids was greater when
fed in a low P/S diet. We demonstrated that the dietary P/S ratio
significantly influences the effect of long-chain n-3 fatty acids on
host immune responses and n-3 fatty acid incorporation into tumor
cells. These findings warrant further consideration when designing
dietary recommendations.

The full article can be found at:

http://ipsapp008.lwwonline.com/content/getfile/4559/93/6/abstract.htm