From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:08:48 -0400
Jim Walsh wrote:

> Earlier this year I had a run-in with a kidney stone. It was suggested at the time, that kidney
> stones can form very rapidly and that my new diet may be responsible.
>
> Where are all the green leafys for me to eat! :)
>
> What green leafy vegetables do other list members eat? What green leafys do not have high
> levels of oxalate?

This is a big concern of mine, also. We grow a lot of our own food, and
fill the freezers with parboiled greens that last all winter, but now
I'm wondering if some of them have too much oxalate. Supposedly chard,
beet greens, spinach, and pigweed (green amaranth) are all high. Also
almonds, which we eat a lot of. One answer is mustard and cabbage family
greens. If you want leafy-green members of the cabbage family check out
collards, kale, and leafy relatives of broccoli. How about dandelion
greens, arugula, mustard greens, and various Asian greens? There is also
a wide variety of wild greens to be had, such as chickweed, coltsfoot,
dock, cattail, chicory, sorrel, water cress, brooklime, mallow, and
others. But I don't know how to find out which of those are also high in
oxalates.