From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:07:10 -0400
okay, so just when I thought I was understanding which fats to eat, I'm
all
confused again. I read a bunch of articles by Ray Peat (got the link
from
this group) and he seems to advocate saturated fats (primarily coconut
oil
and butter)

Marriane,

I was the one that posted the Ray Peat link.  In summary, it seems that
he is against polyunsaturated fats because they are highly oxidative and
can cause free radicals during their "burning process".  Rob Faigin
(author of "Natural Hormonal Enhancement") recommends monosaturated
fats, like olive oil and canola.  Personally, I compromise by using
olive oil, coconut oil and butter.  I think the benefits of DHA and
vitamin A in fish oil outweighs any damage done.  I'm still on the fence
about flax oil, though, and only use it when I'm trying to lose weight
and only use it when I'm taking my "ACES" antioxidants (Vitamins A, C,
E, and Selenium).

Fawn