From:
Kathleen Lunson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 22:47:53 -0400
In a message dated Thu, 16 May 2002 10:14:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Wendy Hubbard <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>> > It can take up to a month on paleo to clear your system of SAD.
>> > It gets worse.  If you have an overgrowth of candida albicans it can
>> take up to 3 months on paleo and low carb and anticandida and supplements
>> to clear your system well enough to get a starting point for an accurate
>> self diagnosis of intolerance foods.
>
>that's a pretty bleak assessment. you make me not want to even try.  I
>prefer to keep my more optimistic view of things.<<

It's not about short term optimism or pessimism, it's about long term success.  There's every reason to be optimistic that the course I am describing will get you where you want to be, it's worked for every single individual who has tried it.

>I want to start with a base of "safe" paleo foods (if I can ever get enough
>information to make that determination) and add other paleo foods to it. <<

There is no such list.  It is fundamentally individual.  The odds are that paleo IS your safe list, that the vast majority of intolerance foods are the ones outside of paleo, and that only a tiny minority have problems with only paleo foods.

But among those very few who do continue to find intolerances even among the paleo foods, it can vary from tomatos to beef to eggs to broccoli to turkey, to name several examples from people I know.

Obviously if you are already aware of negative reactions to some particular foods, then assume those are problems anyway.  This is another point about doing cleansing fasts before, about cleaning candida out of your system, about eating only one food at a time.  If your reaction to a food were readily apparent, you probably already suspect it.  This is for finding out the subtle problems well.

>have to admit the candida
>issue has been in the back of my mind, but I still see this as a good place
>to start.  <<

I really have to tell you that any results you may think you see now will be skewed by candida if you do have an overgrowth.  Many people find that candida causes foods to "read" as intolerances that later "read" as fine when the overgrowth is corrected.

I don't expect all my symptoms to be gone in a month. I just
>want to be over my addictions and on the right path by then.

Getting over your addictions can be done in that length of time.  But I would challenge you to consider whether your search for the "perfect" diet might be a way of postponing starting on that path.  Please don't let perfectionism keep you from progress.

Kathleen