From:
Laura Paris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:56:21 -0700

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 15 May 2002 20:34:47 -0500
> From:    Wendy Hubbard <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: PALEO Elimination Diet
>
> I think I haven't made myself very clear.  I wrote:
>
> "I wanted to do this first to make sure I knew which PALEO foods I could eat."

Wendy,
I think you're getting a lot of mixed messages about your Elimination diet plan. I've had a lot of experience Elimination dieting and helping others do so, and if you want to e-mail me privately I'm happy to help you off list. But for now I'll say I think your plan is sensible. It takes only 5-8 days for food intolerances to 'clear'. This phase of the diet is the most restrictive. Water fasting is
not necessary. It was an old-school way of doing it, but allergists have come up with a list of 'safe' foods that generally works. Then introduce foods one at a time, up to 3 or 4 a day if there's no reactions. Based on what you said, I think you should introduce the paleo foods you want to be eating. Perhaps you could first test the foods first that are less likely to cause problems. The more
common allergenic Paleo foods tend to be:nuts (although soaking for 8+ hours allows some people to tolerate them), eggs, citrus fruit, tropical fruit, nightshade vegetables, mushrooms. Maybe just leave these to test last, because if you do react to them it will slow the process down. But even if you do react, you just have to wait to test another food until symptoms clear, and there's ways to
speed this up, so often you just cant test any more foods the rest of that day. I don't see any problem with completing the process in your month of time. If you were testing non-Paleo foods as well it might take later, but I think testing only Paleo foods should be pretty quick in comparison.
LP