From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:54:58 -0400
From: "KC Hunter" <[log in to unmask]>
> I live in the Los Angeles area, and my doctor is driving me crazy.
>
> I am diabetic, but am on Medi-Cal, and would like to manage it via
> nutrition, not pills.  I realize that paleo nutrition is not "low-carb,"
but
> it feels natural to me.  I was rather impressed by the story in
Neanderthin,
> and would like to rely on a doctor who is sympathetic to what I want.

KC, you won't unfortunately get too much support from the medical folks. The
current craze is low fat, high carb and very few can get out of the mold and
think for themselves.

I've been continually astonished during conversations with medical and
scientific people because they nod and agree about all the principles of low
carb, insulinemia, and so forth, but can't seem to integrate the conclusion
into their recommendations.

Paleo can certainly be low carb -- it's very easy. Avoid too many dense
carbs and it becomes low carb. In any case it is quite often reduced carb
unless you eat a lot of very starchy tubers and roots.

I can't give advice to other people on this, but I know that "diabetes" runs
in my family but I am not going to "get it" because it is quite often a
manifestation of eating contrary to our genetics. Many people can "get away"
with eating like that, but I cannot and don't want to try.

So during the day I eat lots of protein, leafy green veggies, a bit of fruit
(perhaps one piece per day if that), and have one meal, typically evening,
where I will have half a sweet potato or yam, or a bunch of cooked carrots.
I probably eat 70 - 100 grams of carbs per day which seems to be the amount
I need to avoid ketosis and avoid cravings.

This seems to me quite reasonable and I wouldn't imagine why you couldn't
follow such as diet or something similar if you think it is right. It is
your life after all and you need to do what you think is correct for you.

--Richard