From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 15:21:10 -0500
Yes, I know they weren't paleolithic, lol, as this article referred to white
settlers living in the mid-1800s.  But I thought it was interesting to read
about how many wild foods they ate and also, the wild game that was so plentiful
here in Texas at that time.  The bears are long gone in this part of the country
and buffalo no longer roam free on the prairie (although they are raised as
livestock) but the panthers are making a comeback and I see deer and wild
turkeys from time to time on our property as well as bobcats, coyotes and of
course, rabbits.  The quail have had a hard time here due to fire ants killing
so many of the babies but I saw a Bobwhite quail in my front yard two days ago
so if we can control the fire ant population, hopefully they will flourish once
again.

Not only the pioneers used that salt lick but also the local Indians and wild
animals.  It wouldn't surprise me if paleolithic peoples also acquired salt in
various ways.

L'shalom,

Marishka