From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 09:49:44 -0400
> Todd,
>
> Given what you have said about your problem, and what you have posted in the
> past about being overweight, having unusually high cholesterole levels, and
> what I know from experience, it sounds like you are experiencing is
> cholestasis (supression of biliary flow, or bile).

That's an interesting hypothesis.

> When bile is not flowing, after eating a meal of meat or meat and fat,
> the stamach and liver area become very bloated.  Digestion comes to a
> screeching halt. Food sits like a rock.  You may feel sluggish, lethargic,
> experience pain or tenderness if you rub or press the liver area (below and
> under the right side of rib cage), and in the region in the center between
> the bottom of both ribs.

There is some tenderness, but not excruciating pain.  And the
problem is intermittent, not constant.

> The pain can be excrutiating. You might experience
> gas build up in your abdomene, look pale, feel incapacited.  It is common to
> have loose stools with undigested food the next day. Food is not digested
> because of insufficient bile flow.  Stools may also be clay colored, due to
> lack of bile.

It's an uncomfortable feeling.  I don't think I've noticed
anything unusual about stool color.

> You are not alone.  We know of several people who have experienced this
> problem, even on paleo diets.  There are dietary changes that can help.  It
> can take a while for the problem to show up, although some peole experience
> it very soon after adopting a low-carb, high meat or high meat and fat diet.
>
> Here are several suggestions that have helped other people with the
> cholestasis:
>
> 1.  Buy artichoke extract (comes in capsules). Jarrow makes a good product,
> with standardized extract.  Follow the label diretions, taking 1 to 3
> capsules per day with food.  Taking 1 per meal would be good idea, if the
> meal contains meat and/or fat.

I'll try that.  What about just eating artichokes, or artichoke
hearts?

Coincidentally, I was looking at Ann Gittleman's new book, The
Fat Flush (or something like that), last night, and she also has
a lot to say about optimizing liver function.  She recommends
adding 4 ounces of of unsweetened cranberry juice to a quart of
water, and drinking two quarts throughout the day; also lemon
juice in hot water.  Both are supposed to stimulate liver
functions.  Any opinions on these ideas?

> 2.  Reduce meat portions.  You might try limiting meat portions to the size
> of the palm of your hand, proably 5 or 6 ounces max. (My guess is that you
> have big hands.)

Yep, big hands.  Six ounces is about right.

> 4.  Replace more of the meat calories with fibrous veggies (roots, tubers,
> squashes, bulb, stem, and fruit vegetables, etc), as well as berries and
> other fruits.  That is increase total carbs and reduce fat/protein calories.
>
> 5.  Go light on the fat, including nuts, seeds, oils; remove the skin from
> poultry; choose leaner cuts of meat; trim the fat; avoid bacon, sausage, and
> use lamb infrequently if at all.  You may find that in the process of doing
> all of this, you are able to lose body fat and your blood lipids may change
> for the better.

It's worth a try.  Thanks for the suggestions.

TM