From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 08:56:39 +0900
Jana Eagle wrote:

> It is also hard to say whether paleo people did mind body therapies like
> EFT (tapping) like Mercola describes.  I have often wondered that, if
> paleo people were "new age" :-)

What is new age? I suspect the paleo peoples were profoundly
religious. The oldest records that remain of religion don't show
peoples much if at all less profound than more recent. Check out the
Book of Job in the Bible . It is believed to be the oldest written
story in the Bible, perhaps 4000 or more years old. Job was a
neolithic herder, not paleo, but it gives some idea of the depth of
their thought.

The old peoples of Europe were probably more intelligent and deeper
thinkers than we are today. They not only had bigger thinking tools,
brains, they had those long winters with not much to do but think and
tell stories. I guess their oral culture beat ours a hundred times. A
whole society of people who could talk as well as Eddie Murphy or Bill
Clinton! We know from the art that remains that a very small
population had an astounding number of artistic geniuses. I guess they
had little else to do during the cold months.

When that old culture died and the neolithic replaced it there seems
to have been a terrible loss of abilities, knowledge. Art regressed to
levels below 20,000 years earlier, neolithic art is crude and childish
compared to the cave paintings. It wasn't until the Greeks, Celts and
a few others (in the west, the east had it's own revival) began to
develop the civilized arts that art returned to the level of skill it
had seen in paleo times.

I feel terrible loss that we do not have access to the oral history,
the majority of their art, and all of their philosophical and
religious speculation of the paleo peoples. I guess we are in some
ways still recovering from the melting of the ice sheets, which
destroyed the old paleo world, how many 10s of thousands of years in
development. Our own culture is a child still.