From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 15:20:31 -0400
Tom Barber wrote:

> My wife just returned from a drive and announced that the local (and
> Vermont's largest) hospital, Fletcher Allen, in a "health care tip" on the
> radio, recommended a vegitarian diet as being best to prevent osteoporosis.
>
> Below is a quote from a web site (not the hospital's) that lays out the
> theory. Since paleo people did not have this problem, what is wrong with the
> science?

Everything is wrong with the science. A high animal-protein diet coupled
with adequate calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and especially vitamin D
is a prescription for extra strong bones, as is obvious from a good
study of our paleolithic ancestors' diets and skeletal remains, as well
as modern-day hunter-gatherers. The decision-makers at the hospital
should be directed to the following two reports, one of which is from
medline:

http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/high-protein_diet_bone.shtml
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_7345.html

ps Where do you live in Vermont? We are in Danville.