From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:21:53 -0400
From: "Peter Constantinidis" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:17 AM

> I do have trouble with cravings though.. 3 kinds.. chocolate cake (or any
> baked dessert goods), cheese and pizza.

Peter, are you eating enough "good" (paleo) carbs? I have cravings that are
very strong if I short-change myself in the carbs department. I eat reduced
carbs but not low carb and I am okay. For me this means, prototypically:

breakfast was about 10 ounces of ground beef cooked with shallots, and one
pear
mid-afternoon snack of about 35g of sweet potato chips, dried
dinner of broccoli, a bit of yam, or cooked carrots/parsnips, or beets, and
4 lambchops

I don't know what this adds up to 'cause I don't count, but I imagine it's
about 70g - 100g of carbs in a day. I guess this is Zone-like in quantity.
But anything less does not replace glycogen stores and makes me feel like
gobbling carbs, sugar, etc. Interestingly, fruit doesn't do much to reduce
these cravings while carby roots and tubers do (for me, anyway.)

The solution that works for me is to maintain carb levels at least for one
meal during the day which takes care of the next day. Too low carbs results
in cravings the next day. Since my family does not eat the way I do, there
tends to be junk around in the kitchen and the above regimen keeps me from
being too interested in the junk.

--Richard