NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:03:43 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Loveeles wrote:
>
> > place.  Sometimes they are near the nutrition
> > information while sometimes they are on the front
> > towards the bottom of the package.  Look for various
> > symbols such as K or U, sometimes with a D or DE next
> > to them.  The D means "contains dairy" while the DE
> > means "made on dairy equipment".  There are several
>
> Often foods marked KD or OUD have no dairy in the ingredients list.  My
> assumption has been that in these cases, the food was prepared on a line
> or even a facility that is certified KD or OUD, but may or may not contain
> traces of dairy.

When in doubt, always call the manufacturer.

For example, when Dempster's bread changed their packaging, they added
"may contain trace amounts of diary ingredients" (or something like it)
to the package.  I called them and was told that the manufacturing
process had not changed but they added the warning "just in case"
because other products in the plant contain diary.  We continued using
the bread (very tasty IMO), it's been over a year and so far no
problems.

Best wishes,
Alex.