C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Zubko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:48:53 -0500
David,

Your daughter may not be benefitting from the baclofen anymore. I have to
switch my antispasmodics every 3 months if I am taking them constantly. You
might want to ask the doctor about adding another drug.... Ativan, Zanaflex,
Valium, to help now. You might ask about the baclofen pump but you may need
to travel to Vancover to get it filled, or the testing may/ may not work.
There is a 30% complication rate, and the pumps break down/need to be
replaced every 5 years because the batteries stop working. There are great
things about it too, but research first. She may even benefit more from a
rhizotomy... Who knows?

I would see if other oral meds help first, before pursuing the pump. There
are other meds she can take that would help just as much.
YOU MAY WANT TO GO TO THE B.C CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IN VANCOUVER AND HAVE HER
EVALUATED FOR SPASTICITY MANAGEMENT. They may switch meds, try surgery,
recommend Botox injections/more therapy.
Just a few suggestions.

Jenn