C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:22:58 -0500
Good. :-)  I understand your need to for self-esteem, but I agree with Bobby that you need to have a long talk with the doctor before making any decisions.  Also, I think the surgery is more successful in young children than adults, but again that's for the doctor to discuss with you.  Would it be covered under the Canadian health plan?

As regards the self-esteem issue, I remember when I was a teenager, I desperately wanted to be like everyone else, and so I tried to do everything as a AB would.  However I've grown into my skin, so to speak, and so have decided that I'm OK the way I am.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Kat,
I am defdinitely going to let everything else (any pump surgery/pain
stimulator/options for pain management) come first. These are priorities. I
may not get to see this eye surgeon till next December. MY VISION IS GETTING
AFFECTED BY STRABISMUS, AS MY SELF ESTEEM, BUT I would ask the doctor about
risks before doing anything. Don't want to lose the vision I have. Thanks
for your input.
Jenn