C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:22:15 -0500
Jenn,

As a person who's had eye surgery (cataract removal and lens implants), I can tell you, I wouldn't do any eye surgery unless it were absolutely necessary.  Eye surgery greatly increases the risk for retinal detachment, and that is a serious condition.  My opthalmolotgist told me that CP patients who are extremely near-sighted and have atigmatism, are also at risk for retinal detachment and the combination is quite risky.  I had to have the cataract surgery, as otherwise I would have been legally blind, but my CP is mild and I am not severely near-sighted, so I went ahead and had the surgery.  Before the surgery my vision was less than 20/100 with glasses and now it's 20/20 with glasses and 20/35 without.

I guess, too, that I'm a bit concerned that you're considering other surgery on top of the pump, along with your pain management issues. If I were you, I'd focus on the pain management and medically neceesary procedures and then consider the eye surgery (if you think you can handle the risks) later.

Kat

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,

I had 2 or three strabismus surgeries as a child, but they did not work. My
parents did not want to put me through another one, and wanted the "beauty"
issues to be my choice. I have been referred to a surgeon who does
strabismus surgery for pediatrics and adults here in Ottawa. No idea when my
appt. will be. I just want the surgery so people stop asking me if I CAN
SEE, WHAT EYE TO LOOK INTO, ETC.
What are the risks involved. My parents had been through it twice, and did
not want the same doctors helping me.
I don't hope for better vision, just cosmetic reasons so I can be a regular
24 year old.

Any input?
I am still going to have vision problems (had retinopathy of prematurity and
wear very strong glasses).
And thank you for all of your compliments. I am still praying hard that
things will work out. Maybe thios year was just not the right year for the
pump- maybe I need Dr. Myles or Dr. Albright-- they are good friends. WE
WILL SEE WHAT GOD MAKES HAPPEN, BUT THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME FEEL VERY MUCH
AT PEACE, AND FOR ALL YOUR PRAYERS. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF DR. ALBRIGHT
RESPONDS.

Thank you for everything. Please keep praying.
Jenn