C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:17:46 -0800
Hi,

  At 400mg twice daily, morning and evening (at least in my experience),
magnesium is great for spasming. While reducing spasticity, I find it
concurrently reduces pain and inflammation from over-exertion as I move about
in the normal course of my day. I always take one before venturing to the
malls, as it markedly reduces fatigue. Taken at night, it also acts as a sleep
aid. I generally take it with a mug of hot chocolate - a splash o Bailey's in
the choco doesn't hurt either :)

 I take the magnesium oxide as it's indicated for better cardiac function -
reduces arrhthymia associated with AI.

  You may also find that if you step up water intake to the 8-10 glasses daily,
pain, fatigue and spasticity will be reduced. Keeping the joints and tissues
well lubricated goes a long way to improving range of motion while helping to
reduce the pain of movement.

  For those of you in chronic pain (even dull generalized achiness), you might
consult with your doctor about a course of tetracycline - a broad spectrum
antibiotic that's often indicated for what is called "deep" bone pain. This is
often found in arthritic conditions like fibromyalgia. The antibiotic therapy
seems to be very effective. I take 2-3 courses of tetra yearly and am very
pleased with the long-term effects (months free of pain and fatigue). In fact,
I just started a course to counter the effects of a fibromyalgia flare. Is it
possible that some of us with cerebral palsy might be dealing with fibromyalgia
as well? It's not a new disease, btw. I read about it in one of my father's
medical books - Women's Health, first printed in the late 1800's, and last
printed in 1947-49. Was a lengthy section on fibrosistitis, which falls into
the myalgia family of diseases. Might be worth checking into with your doctor.
You might be surprised at the results with even a single course of tetracycline
- a tip - take magnesium 2-3 hours before a tetra dose.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier