C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 09:51:50 -0500
Hi! All,

As some of you may remember I am the guy who uses a wheelchair-because of cerebral palsy of course-and relocated to St. Petersburg FL because of the warm weather. I've had it in this area and am looking to move as I mentioned several months ago. I want to move to Orlando/kissimee Florida area at least I know several people over the them won't feel so isolated. The problem is your normal but important issues that are related to everyday living.

I'm waiting for the center for independent living in Winter Park FL to get back to me. In the meantime, what does anybody out there know about wheelchair access in that area. In St. Petersburg, single most important obstacle that I encountered is that I bought a house in a great neighborhood but there were no sidewalks. Therefore, I had to turn down looking at a house in kissimee that would have been great for me (but no sidewalks in Ponciana area-if anyone knows where that is.

I figured I could get away with living in an area with no sidewalks because I expected to have a job by now-but there are no jobs in my field around here-I'm overqualified (master's degree in counseling) for some am going to accept to others for accessibility reasons. The only thing I'd be giving up here is a very good paratransit system and a great rehab doctor. I figured if I can get around the neighborhood I won't feel so isolated. Also, I have to be not to me or a bus otherwise it would be more difficult to get door-to-door service. I can afford a house around the hundred thousand and don't want to be in the boondocks. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary [log in to unmask]