BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A place midway between Celebration and Village of the Damned.
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:55:10 -0500
To all,

The problem with "virus shields" is that you really ought to sign on to the
company website and update your virus definitions on a DAILY basis, because
viruses evolve. That also means that after updating, you then need to run a scan
on your machine daily, AND every incoming transmission, and you should STILL not
open any attached files.  Just in case some enterprising hater has just devised
a new virus that the protection software company hasn't seen yet.

If you want to live dangerously, you could limit yourself to opening files that
END with the extensions:  .jpg , .gif. , .pdf , .txt , .rtf , and  .doc   .

Never never open a file with a double extension, like .doc.vbs , or anything
that ends with: .exe, .vbs , .com , or anything that comes with a message that's
a little screwy looking or whatever.

deb