BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
9.11.2002: Day of private silence; no commentators, especially!" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 18:05:11 +1000
 --- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> quote of the day ...
> "..Gee none of us have ever been up here"

Ain't that always the way.

I've got a job going bad at the moment ...
... this morning's classic was an urgent call from the
site foreman ...
"you know those two stones we saw last weekend from
the swing stage ... well the stonemason went up past
them in the stage today, and said they were dangerous
... can you come down to site right away and tell us
how to fix them"

Said stones are shown on the contract drawings as
requiring refixings.  Contractor had drawings 18
months ago.  Tendered twice.  Appointed a stonemason
on letter of intent in January.  Ended relationship at
Easter.  New stonemason on job for a week (not yet
introduced to me until contractor gets the
infrastructure for interfacing between subcontractor
and consultant in place).  Windows subcontractor has
been up and down beneath said stones for weeks. Why
hasn't contractor been concerned before.

I refused to go to site.  Sent a fax with a detail for
refixing, referred them to specification.  Will be
interesting to see how it develops!

As to why the contractor hasn't introduced the
stonemason subcontractor to me yet ... I'm wondering
if it has anything to do with the fact that the
specification calls for "skilled personnel - site
foreman to have 10 years of experience in the
conservation and restoration of Sydney sandstone;
tradesmen to be experienced in this work; evidence of
experience to be provided for approval" ... yet the
industry tells me that none of the stonemasons who fit
that category and have union agreements have been
approached to work on the site ... given that the
company name is that of a marble and granite mason, I
have my suspicions ... and the newly curved joint
arrises where repointing trials are happening make me
wonder ...

... wish me luck for my introduction meeting scheduled
for next Monday!

david

(sign me ... not afraid to talk about my current jobs,
just shit-scared the client will accidentally find out
and haul me over the coals like happened last week
over a magazine article I wrote on the poor quality of
modern stone installation illustrated by a photo of
said client's building commissioned by the magazine
editor and not cropped properly thus getting me nicely
splattered with the brown runny stuff ...)

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!