BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
can't australian computers read? <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:35:26 -0400

I'm glad you asked. I don't know about Fogleman. He worked on the Panama
Canal. He was a machinist. He liked metal. He came back to Raleigh and
started a machine shop. He was a partner with Allen: Allen & Fogleman
Grinding Company. They worked on car engine blocks and heads. Car
engines used to wear out a lot. They would smooth things out inside the
engine blocks and heads. I have a picture of Fogleman with a car he
restored. I will put it on PigHabit. You can see it there.

Allen was a guy that liked metal too. He liked to melt it. He had Allen
Forge Company. Kurt restored the old Allen Forge building and now it is
his architectural office. It is real eerie how Kurt's building and my
house are linked. My house has a standing seam metal roof. Fogleman
really did like metal. I have one of his inventions. It is the amazing
dual-action spring-loaded shock-absorbing handlebar unit. He stamped it:
"Invented by E.L. Fogleman. March 10, 1913." I also have a lot of his
family papers. That is how I knew where to find him. I had the bill of
sale for his lot at Mordecai. He did invest in some bonds for the
Longview Baptist Church. They used the money to build their modern
[1950s] sanctuary. People whisper to me that people of the Jewish
persuasion like money. They are very good with it, they say. Do you
think that Fogleman the Jew would invest in a Christian Church?

But you are wrong about Mordecai. Mordecai converted to the Christian
faith after he married Miss Lane. Her family was very rich. He converted
a long time ago before he knew better. My commission a long time ago
moved an old Christian chapel from another county to the park. The park
is the size of a city block. It is all the land that is left from the
plantation with the Mordecai House. They put the chapel about 150'
behind the house. That is as far away as they could put it and still
have it on their land. It is in a little corner of the block where they
also put some other buildings that they moved. They moved them to save
them. Now it is a historic mobile home park. It is an interesting place
to learn about the history of historic preservation.

Today we would not move the houses there. The Keeper of the National
Register wrote us a letter in 1998. We were listing the 1920s
neighborhood that now surrounds the park on the register. The Keeper
told us if we moved any more houses to the park they would take the
house off the National Register. We were surprised that the Keeper was
concerned that we might do that today. But back then, that is what
needed to be done. So they did it. Volunteer tour guides give tours of
the park. For many years they used to say that Moses Mordecai had the
chapel built so he could worship behind the house. They don't say that
now. But maybe the Keeper was right to write a letter to Raleigh. Now
they rent the chapel out for weddings. That makes money for the people
that operate the park. They like money too.

Dan Becker, Exec. Dir.     "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic            from some COD?"
Districts Commission        - With apologies to
[log in to unmask]              Bullwinkle Gee Moose
919/890-3678