Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
The Getty's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:48:25 -0400
 I think "food processing", starting with just the
> simplest techniques of smashing, shredding, and the like, has
> been part of the human experience from the very beginning.  I am
> therefore *very* skeptical of the claim that paleolithic people
> never ate grains.  My conjecture is that they had been eating
> grains for a very long time, but infrequently and in small
> amounts -- like many other paleo foods.

Thank you Todd...........lots of wisdom there.  We know, just by the fact
that grains were domesticated, that wild grains were utilized for a long
time before domestication and complex processing, by people that were only
occassionally using them.  Ancient peoples could not just start processing
and domesticating grains out of the clear blue.  It would have been a
process of thousands of years, beginning with wild grains being a small part
of the diet.  That this process took place in at least several areas, with
different grains, independently, it seems, shows us that early man had an
interest in grains long before he knew how to process them, besides just
chewing them.
Paul

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]