Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 13:40:24 +0900
pook la roux wrote:

Sounds a lot like my father in law. He had his stomach removed a few
years ago, cancer I guess, and naturally has been wasting away since
then. We call him "Gandi", he is so thin now.

He eats mainly sugary things, hasn't the stomach capacity for bulk
foods. I tried to get him just to take a multi-vitamin, but they just
sit there on the shelf. I suppose he is mal-nourished. I am thinking a
meat based paleo diet might help, concentrated, high density nutrient
foods, but that is so contrary to the Japanese way that they can not
even consider it. He does eat plenty of fish and veggies.

I feel sorry for you. I do not feel so emotionally connected to my
father in law, I can just let him go on with only the occasional
suggestion. A father, living in the same home, would be a lot harder
to deal with emotionally. Have you tried smoothies? A lot of nutrician
can be packed into one, and just drunk down. Veggies can be taken this
way, if he will consent to drinking just one glass a day of finely
whipped mixed vegetables, he might be a lot better off.

Soup? I boil
mixed leftover meats until they are very soft. The broth is rich in
fat. Add a few spices and it is pretty good. Hamburger makes great
soup. You can brown it first in a fry-pan or just put it into water
and boil it. I made chili today that way. It is cheap and easy to eat.
Ground pork and chicken are even cheaper.

Velveeta cheese and white bread! My toilet paper bill would be about
zero if that was all I ate...

All that milk, chocolate, and cheese, sounds like he is trying to meet
his felt needs for fat, but probably not getting a good mix. I think
the meat broth might help with that, plus you could cook with olive
oil, add an occasional avacado, fish, whatever has lots of good fats.
Eggs. The bady is composed mainly of fats and proteins. Try to give
his a good mix of them to choose from. Cook with a variety of oils.

He is probably one of those manly men, who doesn't want to be seen
eating sissy foods like yogurt? Adding a spoonful of live yogurt, even
the sweetened kind, to his chocolate milk would probably help his
digestion if he is going
to continue with so much milk in the diet. Yougurt would probably help anyway.