Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 05:34:35 -0500
On Sun, 5 May 2002 00:17:45 -0400, Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>The only plausible dietary reason I know *not* to eat a whole grain based
>> diet ...

>The other plausible reason:
>As your analysis shows, and as you have discussed before, Amadeus, there is
>also the high carbohydrate content of such a diet. Can result in
>hyperinsulinemia and obesity etc. in many people.

There's a difference between the type of high carbohydrate diets.
Real whole grain diets, which made up the whole 10,000 years of neolithic
are different, from what is found today (even among many "mueslis").
Just look at the Gyycemic Index lists
(like: http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/Look_at_Gilist.html )
or even more important the Insulin index lists (like:
http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/Look_at_IS.html ).

You see that it's *not* the total carbohydrate percentage, that governs
the Insulin elevation. Even not the glucose elevation.
Even ordinary "white" pasta (which is high in protein, but low in fiber)
has a insulin score of 40 whereas beef steak (with zero carbohydrates) has
51.

The real dangerous items are of course unpaleo, and unavailable in megalith
times. Like White bread, white potatoes, all the sugary cakes and candies.

It's not yet explained by the study authors (Brand Miller et al).
But it may haves to do with
- content of energy vitamins (vitamin B1, B*)
- content of fiber
- content of protein

Btw. a major trigger for obesity is insulin resistance.
When your insulin is up the most of the time,
while your cells deny to use up glucose most of the time,
 you're likely to gain weight.

It seems that there are high carb diets, which little effect on insulin.

We ought to  watch the EFA (PUFA) part of our fat intake to provide for a
reasonable cell wall permeability, to fight insulin resistance.

Annother word on obesity:
It looks like the average ("SAD", non-paleo) meat eater is particularly in
danger of these factors.

- The high protein item meat allows for zero protein only calories
  items like sugars and pure (bad) fats. It even demands for them.
- The high SFA and low EFA part contributes to insulin resistance and
  to prostaglandin disturbances.

So far I think the two points, lectins and phytin, which show up in a
non-traditional whole grain diet are the major negative points.

regards

Amadeus S.