C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Emma Gabriella Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:03:01 +1050
Welcome to the list Brent, nice to to meet you.  I am a bit of
a lurker, and also go away a lot (and hence "off-line") but
here's a little intro.

I live in adelaide, australia, and am studying french
spanish and linguistics at uni.  I have very mild CP.  From
your introduction, I think my childhood- or at least my
mother's attitudes etc- was very similar to yours; I was in
mainstream primary school and my mum fought to have
equipment (ie a small typewriter) provided for me.  She
also got me playing piano when I was 5 (18 yrs later it's still
my passion) and had high expectations academically
(which I met ), so that people wouldn't dare suggest I be
put in a "special" school.  When my grade 4 teacher
refused to teach me if I wouldn't "write like everyone else",
my parents withdrew me from the school.  Because we
lived in rural area, there weren't any other options for
schools, so I was educated, with my sister, at home until I
was ready for highschool.  Ironically, in those two years at
home I learnt more than I had in 4 yrs @  school- we
travelled a lot which is always an educational experience-
and started high school a year before all my old class
mates.  !!!

I find that I don't need any medical intervention at this stage
(early 20s)- I seem to be able to manage with yoga, cycling
and a monthly massage.  However I am aware that back
and associated pain is getting worse as I get older, and I
can no longer sit and play piano for 3 hours at a stretch like
I used to.  I worry about getting RSI in my hands and arms
from all the playing I do.  That happened to my old teacher
who  didn't even have CP- I can only imagine I'd be  even
more prone. (?)

Anyway, I look  forward to getting to know you more.....

Emm a