BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"I'm sorry your facade fell off - I got the mortar formula off the internet." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:33:16 -0800
Hi Gang,  I have a question about lime, about which I, admittedly, know
very little in a cement/mortar application.  I am a farmer, I know about
spreading lime on fields and lawns, etc. but not cement.

This is not an old, or historic construction but I think we have a problem.
At the school where I do a lot of work they have a retaining wall which was
built about 15 years ago.  It has cracked in places and it is bulging out.
It looks to me as though lime is leaching out of the cement and oozing out
of the cracks in the cement.  I would think this would weaken the cement
and hasten the wall's demise.  They have a maintenance man who "knows it
all," if you don't believe it just ask him.  He says that isn't possible.
I am quite sure he just says this because he doesn't know what to do about
it and he will not admit he doesn't know.  Am I right or is he?  Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT