From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:52:34 -0700

I feel bad that it's taken my so long to summarize.  I did want to make my trip first and we did, the first week of April.  I hope all of this will be helpful.  I do want to note as many of us know, that many have their own comfort level in where and what they eat.  I encourage you to ask your own questions.  There are certain things I don't question as often, based on my experience over the years with "ingredient reading" and experience with certain types of foods and the way they are cooked.

Disneyworld

The first thing I'd like to point out is a very helpful phone number that was provided to me by someone on this list:

407/WDW-DINE

You can call this phone number to make reservations at (I believe) all of the Disneyworld restaurants.  The only time I used it was to make a reservation at MGM.  I'll tell you about that one below.  When I told the reservationist about my son's diet, she gave me the phone number of the chef at the restaurant where I wanted to eat.  She then patched me through to him.  He was most helpful.  So, when you call for a reservation, make sure you ask for the chef's phone number.

We went to two of Disney's water parks.  Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.  My experience with water parks in the past has been they don't generally have a lot of choices for celiac's.  So, at both of them, I brought a packed lunch.  However, Blizzard Beach had smoked turkey legs.  This is something that I think some may question.  This is one that I feel comfortable with.  I encourage all to ask your own questions of the establishment on this one.  He still ate some of his own lunch that day.

Epcot

We ate at Restaurant Marrakesh.  The waiter was very knowledgable about the meals.  My son had salmon, rice and vegetables.  It was delicious.  Several people recommended the Coral Reef at Epcot.

MGM

This is the one where I called ahead of time and made a reservation at The Brown Derby at the WDW DINE phone number.  I spoke with the chef, Patrick, and he was most helpful.  He said to let him know when we arrived and he would come out and talk to us.  When we were seated, he came out immediately.  I hadn't even called for him.  They actually had a chicken breast kid's meal.  He was very helpful and knowledgable.  He also came out two more times to check on us.  I wanted to cry.  Only two other times was my family treated to well concerning the diet.

Magic Kingdom

I believe it was Pecos Bill's in Frontierland that we ate.  My son had a bun-less hamburger.  I can't remember if he had the fries or not.  (Sorry)  They had a toppings bar with sauted mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.  He had several tomatoes with it.

Animal Kingdom

We didn't eat here, but this is where the Rain Forest Cafe is.  You need to call a day or two ahead of time for reservations.  They told me that they don't take same day ressies, but they would take walk - ins. We didn't eat there, so I don't know how long a wait for that would be.  If you've never eaten there, the experience is a lot of fun for kids.  I will paste in e-mails on a second summary that I received from people before going on our trip that talk about eating there.

Universal Studios