From:
cc Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cc Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:17:55 -0700

My original concern was "I am newly diagnosed with osteopenia...what has been your experience?"

I had 46 responses to this topic...all helpful, enlightening, and worth spreading to others who may be in these same shoes...

The age group who responded were:

27 - 37 y/o...4

44 -49 y/o...11

50 - 59 y/o...5

over 60 y/o...2

unknown...24

20 people had osteopenia, 7 had osteoporosis, 2 had no bone loss, and 17 did not acknowledge a diagnosis.

The suggestions:

   Gluten free diet!
   Foods rich in calcium, such as: almonds, sesame tahini, green leafy vegetables, calcium enriched orange juice, bottled water with added calcium and other nutrients, broth made from boiled chicken, beef, veal, or fish bones, NO soda.
   Supplements: Silia Plus (1), Viactiv (1), Didrical (1), Caltrate (1), Calci-Mix (1), Citracal (4), Twin Labs Calcium with boron (1), Country Life Calcium with magnesium & zinc (1), Coral Calcium (1).  1000-1550 mg per day (750mg at a time) was common, with the addition of vitamin D and magnesium. Calcium citrate and calcium carbonate were sited as best absorbed.
   Epsom salt baths for the absorption of magnesium and consequently better absorption of calcium through oral intake.
   Exercise!  Walk, walk, and walk, yoga, weight-bearing exercises too.
   Hormone replacement therapy for those in menopause.
   Synthetic Calcium:  Fosamax had mixed reviews...8 were taking it with no side effects, 6 were strongly opposed to it, while still others shared experiences: 1 has no improvement but no additional bone loss, 1 got chest pains, 1 got a rash so switched to Actonel, 1 had intestinal problems, 1 switched to Miacalcim for reason unacknowledged.  3 like Miacalcim, 1 says it only maintains, doesn't build bone. 3 say Actonel is easiest on stomach.
   Websites worthy of viewing:

www.medscape.com/mp/rc/usmd/osteoporosis

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/431555?srcmp=ortho-041202

www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcamp/Data/SR14/wtrank/wt_rank.html

What did my own internist recommend?  GF diet, 1500mg of calcium (750mg at one time). I take KAL crystal powder calcium lactate/gluconate, recommended by my dietician for the best absorption. He also recommended 800mg of Vitamin D, continue walking and lifting weights.  Since my diet is so restrictive, only poultry, rice, some vegetables, and peanut butter & nuts, I will be watched yearly with additional bone tests.  Because I am 45 and my mom finished menopause at 48, along with the fact that I have had one ovary for 25 years with subsequent hormone problems, I will be seeing my GYN for a closer watch for early menopause that may complicate the osteopenia.  The decision on synthetic calcium is one that will wait at this time.

I appreciate all those who responded with their stories shared as well as their compassions felt.  Hopefully this serves as guidance to others with bone loss concerns, and knowledge that these shoes can be walked in with alittle adjustment along the way. Smile, Cindy in NH