From:
Melissa Maedgen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Maedgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:21:14 -0500

Hello all,

I was prescribed Vicodin for pain, so I looked it up in the
archives of this list to see if anyone knew if it was
gluten-free or not. What I found was a lot of conflicting
information, so I did my own research.

My pharmacy substituted a generic (without asking), made by
Qualitest. I called Qualitest and they told me that their
generic equivalent of Vicodin is NOT gluten-free.

As for the brand-name Vicodin, I called Abbott, and they
could not confirm its GF status. Vicodin was made by Knoll,
which was acquired by Abbott Labs. The representative told
me that Abbott was still trying to collect all the necessary
information from their supplies to determine if the product
was gluten-free. He said that the information that they got
from Knoll on the product was incomplete. So maybe it is,
maybe it ain't. For know we don't know.

Hopefully Abbott will have complete information on Vicodin
in the future. What we do know is that at least one generic
form of Vicodin is not gluten-free. So don't let your
pharmacy substitute a generic without finding out who
manufactures it and checking to see if it is gluten-free. I
requested that my pharmacy include instructions in my
records not to substitute generics without asking me.

Melissa M.
Austin, TX