From:
Wendi Benecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:53:22 -0800

Here are some of the responses I received from the
group. We all struggle with different added ailments
and sharing and comparing may just bring a light bulb
moment to you, me, and help just one person:

Wendi- Yes UTI's are higher in celiacs!  Unfortunately I am suffering
very badly right now from a nasty UTI!  You can take cranberry capsules
daily!

This may cut down on the UTI's.  You can also purchase Azostandard in
the store- it's like Pyridium except over the counter- ask you
pharmacist!!

I had them all the time.  I went to the emergency room about once a
month for about a year until I quit milk products.  It got better.  It
went completely away when I went GF.

I have heard that UTIs (and yeast infections) can be associated with a
high starch/sugar diet.  The starch/sugar feeds the bacteria and they
overgrow and get out of control.  You might want to try to revise your
diet to include more protein and leafy greens and stay away from sugars
in general.

Wendi,

I had a few urinary tract infections years ago when I was on birth
control pills.  But not now, even though I am gluten sensitive.
However, I agree with you that one has to be careful not to eat too many
foods high on the glycemic index.  For instance, I discovered that rice
pasta has at least TWICE the glycemic index of wheat pasta.  Could be a
too acidic diet, not to mention high in glucose to predispose us to type
II diabetes.  I basically try to avoid the GF bread.  Not hard to do,
since the bread found in the freezer section of the health store is so
awful :-)

Hi Wendi, I have had celiac for about 20 years.  UTI's are not one of my
problems, maybe every 5 years or so.  I don't use white rice flour
because the nutritional value is minimal.  I use brown rice flour that I
grind in my Vita Mix.You can buy brown rice flour in the health food
stores.  Also, one problem most people have is not enough fluids on a
regular basis.  Since I make it a point to get 2 quarts of fluids a day,
my UTI's are few and far between.  Cranberry juice is beneficial for
people prone to UTI'S.

I suspect that increased UTI's may have something to do with hormone
inadequacy because of Celiac Disease.  I have read research that shows
that estrogen and testosterone receptors are often blocked and don't
work properly sometimes although the rest of the hormone blood tests
show normal.

I have read studies that indicate that excess yeast or a person with
yeast infections may have blocked receptors because yeast has its own
estrogen receptors and presumably draws the hormones away from the
body's own receptors.  We also have estrogen, etc.  receptors in our
bladders.

I SUFFERED with UTI's for several years before going GF.  I'd have at
least one a month or more.  Lived on antibiotics.  Going GF helped, but
not a complete resolution.  I also had low back problems, hormonal
imbalances and chronic depression at the same time.  Who's to say which
problem 'caused' the other?  I suspect that weakened immune system from
chronic diarrhea prior to going GF may have created opportunity for
bacteria to take control.  Have only had two UTI's since 1997 (went GF
in 1991) - quite a record for me.

I don't exactly have an opinion on this, because I just don't know.  But
it does seem to me quite likely that CD leads to at least inflammation
of the urinary tract.  I've suffered from this on and off for that last
few years.  And about five years ago I had a complete check up of the
whole urinary sytem - the doctors could find nothing whatsoever amiss.
So I incline more and more to the feeling that yes, CD can have such an
effect - in me at least.  However, it comes and goes.  And this has
puzzled me because my diet as far as I can manage it is constantly GF.
But I'm wondering about another possibility - that of lactose
intolerance which is common in CD.  I'm not good with dairy of any form,
and I've restricted that aspect of my diet to semi-skimmed milk and hard
cheese.  But it still doesn't stop these sporadic outbursts of UTI.  So
I've now cut out milk and cheese, and am waiting to see if that has any
effect.