From:
Kelli Wages <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:34:44 -0500

I had dozens of responses to my menstrual cycles question.  Here they
are:

Most of you had/have irregular and/or heavy periods for years.  Many
after going GF, your periods became normal.  Many took birth control
pills to control your periods, but some had side effects.  Others don't
have problems with the pill at all.

Some have had a hysterectomy done and that cured the problem.  However,
at 25, that is not an option for me.

Some have had breast cancer, probably stemming from birth control pills.

I had some say menstrual irregularities are related to CD.  Stefanie
informed me of the following:  There are ties to irregular cycles.  Her
explanation was along these lines:  If you have CD and do not follow a
GF diet, you are not absorbing the amount of nutrients/fats that your
body needs.  Your menstrual cycle is very sensitive to this; your body
needs a lot of energy to produce eggs, etc to go through the entire
cycle.  If you don't have this energy that you get from an appropriate
diet, you won't have a regular cycle.  Once your body accumulates enough
to go through a cycle, your uterine lining is VERY thick - therefore you
get a very heavy period.

A few had a period twice a month.

A few didn't start their periods 'til later in their teen years.

Vitamin E was suggested to help.

Vitamin C with bioflavinoids was suggested to regulate heavy periods.

Flaxseed oil helps regulate, as well.

A Vitamin K deficiency in CD women can lead to irregular/heavy bleeding
because our bodies don't clot correctly.

Thank you to all!

Kelli/Michigan

"I can hear the wind whisper my name...telling me it's
time to head out again...my horse is trailered and the lights are shut
down...and I'm long overdue for headin' out of town...I've got a fever
they call the rodeo...just enough winnin' to make the next
show...sometimes you make 8 sometimes you hit dirt...go on and pin
another number to the back of my shirt..." - Radney Foster