Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:56:05 -0700

 Sorry it took me so long to get this last part out!

(Sister-in-law's baby trying to come early-- hence, a fast scramble to get immediate needs/present
concerns/"life" in order and be ready to babysit neice and nephews during interim! :) )

The only thing I am not sure how to summarize was a wonderful post sent from "sandybill" to me, as
a newbie to the list.  Good advice given there.  However, some of the urls were obsolete when I
tried them--or my server wouldn't cooperate-- but most of what he sent was most helpful.  Yet I
cannot remember what sites I already had summarized! ACk! So if anyone would like for me to send
the entire post (it was   ) long, I will be glad to send it along by your request.

I hope I haven't left anything out.  Thanks so much for all the info and comments. I have plenty
of reading and research to do now, and have found ample information to arrange and present to my
loved ones.  Plus, my own appetite for information has been happily whetted!

Smiles,
Maggs

-------------------------------------

Sully's Living Without magazine's latest edition (spring 2002) has two excellent articles on
autism. One (page 12) is written by a mother and has a little box insert listing websites related
to autism (one of them is Gluten- and Casein-free Diet Information - www.autismdiet.com ). The
other article (page 52) is specifically on the GF/CF diet and autistic children…the magazine is
available on news stands but also on websites that sell GF foods.

(This next group of sources was taken almost directly from info located on
 http://www.paleodiet.com/autism/#books
IMP. NOTE: This site also included lists of testing facilities!)

Books
(http://www.paleodiet.com/autism/#books)
The Autism Network for Dietary Intervention (ANDI)
(http://members.aol.com/autismndi/PAGES/books1.htm)
Lisa Lewis: Special Diets for special kids..
Karyn Seroussi: Your gluten and dairy free kitchen.
William Shaw: The biological basis of autism and PDD.

Sue Dengate : Fed Up and Different Kids - Growing up with Attention Deficit Disorder. Her site has
information about the effects of food on children's behaviour, health and learning ability; and
support for families using the low chemical elimination diet: free of additives, low in
salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers.
(http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sdengate/)

Brain Allergies: The Psychonutrient and Magnetic Connections
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0658003984/104-0224255-0215933)

Mailing Lists/Forums
GFCFKids --mailing list for families with an autistic member on a gluten and casein free diet.
(web site affiliated with this list is at: www.gfcfdiet.com )

KCAutism --Can post messages and join chats on Mondays at 1 PM EST. Discusses all aspects of the
diet, as well as different recipes and tricks to make them turn out edible. Chats have two hosts:
Both mothers of autistic children who practice the diet. One is obtaining her PhD in Homeopathy
Medicine.

 Basic Information About Dietary Control of Autism, which is their collection of postings and
other archives. (http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/autism.html)

Web Site Collection (mostly gluten-free): www.gluten-free.org

www.glutensolutions.com

Received these sources/info from Barbara Hicks:  [for the full e-mails from Barbara, e-mail me and
I promise to send them more quickly than I made good on this summary! ]

“Lisa Lewis (a worldwide respected figure in gfcf/autism) has provided us with a "starter" on WHY
Gluten-Casein-Free for Autism Spectrum Disorders; also called Developmental Disorders, in this
instance. Her website, with her partner Karyn Seroussi, is: www.autismndi.com.”

Why Gluten-Free AND Casein-Free for Developmental Disorders?
By Lisa Lewis, co-founder of ANDI, The Autism Network for Dietary Intervention, Inc.
www.autismndi.com

BOOKS

New! Special Diets For Special Kids TWO, by Lisa S. Lewis, Ph.D.
…"sequel" contains over 175 great new recipes… emphasis on quick & easy meals.

Future Horizons. $29.95 Special Diets for Special Kids, by Lisa S. Lewis, Ph.D… packed with
information and recipes.

Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and PDD - A Mother1s Story of Research  and Recovery, by Karyn
Seroussi. Now in Paperback, Broadway Books $12.95

Frequently Asked Questions about Dietary Intervention for the Treatment of Autism* by Karyn
Seroussi.
Answers many basic questions. This information can also be found in Lisa1s & Karyn1s books, but is
available at www.autismndi.com in handy booklet form for friends, caregivers, & physicians. $4.00

Is This Your Child? by Doris J. Rapp.

Kids With Celiac Disease, a family guide to raising happy, healthy gluten free children by Danna
Korn.

Wheat Free, Worry Free, the art of happy healthy gluten free living by Danna Korn.

Dangerous Grains by Ron Hoggan and James Braly, MD.
 It is an exploration of celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, and the associated increased risk of
developing a range of ailments. We have offered plain-language explanations these increased risks,
and suggestions for  dealing with many of them. Our book might be valuable for sharing with
relatives and friends who have difficulty with any of the 200 or so conditions that often result
from an underlying gluten sensitivity.

The following books are by Bette Hagman:

The Gluten Free Gourmet, Living Well Without Wheat

The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast & Healthy

The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread

The Gluten Free Gourmet Makes Dessert

The following books are by Carol Fenster:

Wheat Free Recipes & Menus -- Delicious Dining Without Wheat or Gluten

Special Diet Solutions -- Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast or Refined
Sugar Special

Diet Celebrations: no wheat, gluten, dairy or eggs
Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus

The Gluten Free Kitchen -- over 135 delicious recipes for people with gluten intolerance or wheat
allergy, by Roben Ryberg.
___________________________

(taken from the url:  http://www.thepeacefamily.force9.co.uk/gfcf.html)

The Autism Research Unit
Paul Shattock OBE (for services to Autism) and Paul Whiteley at Sunderland University are looking
at autism as a metabolic disorder and the effectiveness of a gluten free and casein free diet. Two
useful information booklets which explain the theories and practicalities of the diet with hints,
tips, difficulties cost around £3 (for both) and can obtained from:
Autism Research Unit,
School of Health Sciences,
University of Sunderland,
Sunderland,
SR2 7EE,
England
Tel: 0191 510 8922
Fax: 0191 567 0429
The Unit has a website full of information and either of the 2 Pauls can be contacted via e-mail
at - [log in to unmask]
The Autism Research Unit has a web site at -
http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/autism/index.html