Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:18:34 -0800

As someone already pointed out, the oats issue has been beaten to death
around here.  I love my oatmeal porridge, use large rolled oats from a
couple of sources  without a hint of reaction from my sensitive celiac
system. I suggest that those who want to add oats to their diet try a
small amount on a weekend.

A previous post points out why no company is going to guarantee that
their oats are 100% gf.  It has a lot more to do with lawyers than with
oats.

Ask some farmers about oats.  Oats are used to 'clean up' fields that
have been growing weeds, etc. because they sprout very quickly and choke
out other plants that sprout a bit later, like wheat.  Oats are also
used as a nurse crop for pastures because the oats grow quickly, choke
out the weeds and can be cut before the grasses are very high.

As to Canada's insistence that oats are not gf, we will work on that.

Then I read:

"The local bakery that makes our g.f. bread needs to experiment & adjust
the basic recipe with each new palette of rice flour since variations in
the humidity of the rice are enough to throw the recipes off.  He said
he can tell if wheat bread will turn out before it goes in the oven, but
with g.f. bread, he can't tell after it's baked."

I am alarmed and amazed that celiacs would purchase bread made in a
bakery that also bakes with wheat flour.

No, I don't think we can absorb gluten through our skin, but I also
don't believe that a 'normal' bakery provides a safe environment for
making gf bread.   Talk about contamination !! Wow !!

Flour in use gets into the air, it floats down on table tops, utensils,
bowls, aprons, bakers, everything.  Unless the bakers are as careful as
the technicians in a chemistry lab, I would say that bread from that
bakery may very easily not be gf.

Our local bakery tried it.  They made a lovely rice bread, I ate one
loaf and was sick for over a week.

So the question - Why is there so much said against oats, which in
themselves are gf  (mostly by those who have not tried them)  and yet
bread from an 'ordinary' bakery is apparently not questioned??

Bon aperitif

Jessie