From:
Susan Garramone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:35:33 -0500

Hi everyone,

    My son has been in the public school system for 1.5 years.  For the
most part we have had good luck dealing with celiac related issues with
the school staff.  His classroom teacher has taken the time to learn
about celiac and is very accomodating.  I pack my sons snacks and
lunches everyday.  He eats in the regular cafeteria and I do not have
him at a "special table".  We have had a few issues with lunch in the
cafeteria but I have been fortunate to have friends working in the
cafeteria and they helped out in problem situations.

Recently some of the staff has changed at the school and we encountered
some problems.  I now think it is appropriate to have a 504 plan put in
place so that my son's needs are offically documented.  I hope this will
help ensure his "safety" for his public school years.

The question is Has anyone put together a 504 plan for celiac disease
and if so would you be willing to share some info with me?  Danna Korn's
book has some info but it seems to apply mostly to schools preparing
lunch.  I'm hoping this plan can cover some basics eg food limitations,
art supplies, handsoaps etc.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.  The school agrees that a 504 plan
will be helpful but wants some guidance.

Thank you,

Susan in MA