From:
Janice Hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:50:24 -0400
From:    Holly Krahe <[log in to unmask]>
Robin wrote:
>>  can i
>>  make some sort of artificially flaovored, low-cal dressing at home?

>The easiest and tastiest dressing are based on >good olive oil, vinegar or
>lemon juice, herbs and spices - REAL fats, REAL >seasonings.  NOT low-cal.
>REAL food.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've found that I enjoy just plain lemon juice or lime juice as a dressing.  I get 3 or 4 limes (usually, lemons occasionally) and juice them and keep the juice in the fridge.  I'll throw some walnuts in, or occasionally, olive oil.  But mostly I find I don't crave the oil part.  I'll also throw in grapes or some other fruit into my salads, and the contrast of tart and sweet tastes works really well for me.

Re dairy:  the only thing I really eat anymore that's dairy is a bit of feta cheese in salads, very occasionally.  I just like the taste.  And I do use a bit of soy milk (I know, non-paleo) in the fruit smoothies I make in the mornings because I like the taste, and because it works so well in smoothies.

The first benefit I saw from changing my diet was that the heartburn I'd been plagued with DAILY for YEARS went away.  That was really all it took to convince me this was right way to eat for me!  Any time I'm tempted to stray from the path, I can ask myself if I want to go through that again.  The prospect of continual heartburn tends to strengthen my resolve wonderfully.  :-)

I also have fewer aches and pains, and have started exercising and being more active again.

Janice in GA