C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:43:26 -0500
>>> [log in to unmask] 03/14/02 12:52PM wrote:
I talked to the old man on the phone last night and he brought me down to
earth a bit.  He said, "You think you're a ball of nerves now, but if you
'whack' this character it will be much worse for you emotionally."  That was
good food for thought.  He said that if confronted, I need to be up front
with him--tell him that his actions caused a lot of reaction on my end.  He
also said to empathize with him like nobody's business.  Let him know that I
know what its like to be frustrated, angry and hurt.  He said that if I can
make him think I'm on his side--without letting my guard down--that he might
be less tempted to take his frustrations out on me and my family.  His
illness is the enemy--not me.  The positive side is that the guy
acknowledges he has a rage problem, so that's a good start.  <<<

Your Dad is a very wise man! I absolutely agree with his take on this guy and how to handle him.

we work for the same agency, but in completely different departments!<<<

He probably feels you CAN empathize with his situation because of the shared bond of the disability issue. Also, he probably sees you as non-threatening. But sometimes all it takes is a sympathetic smile or a polite word for some people to see you as their best friend. Very sad, really.

than chewing valium all day.<<<<

You bet! Keep talking! That's what we're here for.  :-) I'm glad you're able to get away. Remember, trust your instincts.

Yvonne