BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I'm sorry your facade fell off - I got the mortar formula off the internet." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:16:19 +1100
 --- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Just make sure you do not use any lime when
> repointing. Make damn sure you
> use plenty of Portland cement and you will not have
> to worry about another
> brick moving ever again.

Steve

But then we hit the heritage issues.  The building is
listed, and that brings requirements for approvals if
we make any changes to the fabric of the building.  We
can repoint the joints using a lime mortar as
maintenance, and this requires no permission.  If we
change the mortar to a cement-based mortar, this will
require lodgement of applications, and the chances are
we will be told by the heritage nazis that we must use
lime mortar.  So, the challenge is to find the 'right'
mix!

Cheers
david

PS  I have to confess that I am one of the heritage
nazis, and in this instance, I do think that a lime
mortar is the right answer.  It is just a question of
finding the right lime mortar!

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!