From:
Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 05:10:07 -0500
From: Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]
  I just received the Perkins Brailler that I sent to Alan about four weeks
ago
  and I'm genuinely impressed with the quality and speed of his service.
When
  you hear that you basically have a brand new Brailler when he returns
yours,
  it's true.  He completely disassembles the machine and soaks all parts in
  cleaning solvent before reassembling and lubricating.  The machine I sent
him
  was manufactured in March of 1978 and I asked for the full engineering
  upgrade.  This means that any parts that have been improved since your
machine
  was manufactured are replaced in order to bring the machine up to current
  specifications.  The total tab for my machine; which was not working when
  sent it to him; was $102 and change.  This included his basic $45 service
  charge, about $42 in parts, and the rest is shipping and insurance
(including
  a new factory carton which you should retain in case you ever need to
ship
it
  again).  Alan claims that there is virtually no such thing as a Brailler
that
  can't be repaired ... he knows of only two, I think, that couldn't be
repaired
  and one of these had been crushed between a large truck and a loading
dock.  I
  highly recommend him on both a cost and turnaround basis if you have a
Perkins
  Brailler in need of cleaning or repair.  His address info is:

  ACKLEY APPLIANCE SERVICE
  4301 Park Avenue #540
  Des Moines, IA 50321
  Email: [log in to unmask]
  Web site: http://www.braillerman.com
    Phone: 515-288-3931

  Alan isn't set up to take credit cards.  He'll send you a bill when your
  Brailler has been serviced and include a sample of braille written on
your
  machine (including the month and year of manufacture) when he returns the
  machine.