VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:26:24 -0500
There is similar legislation pending here in Illinois, although a penny a
month Newsline tax is being proposed instead of two cents.

Kelly

    WAVE - Louisville,KY,USA

Monday, April 12, 2004

    Governor Uses Line-Item Veto Powers

    FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Gov. Ernie Fletcher used his line-item veto power for
the first time, choosing portions of a bill that creates a statewide
program giving the visually impaired audio access to newspapers.

    Fletcher vetoed the section that would allow a "periodic" 2-cent
surcharge on telephone bills to pay for the service. He also struck
language allowing private, nonprofit agencies to provide the service.

    Fletcher said he used the line-item veto because the service "can best
be accomplished through existing governmental agencies."

    Rep. Susan Westrom, the bill's chief sponsor, was surprised by the
veto. She said she would ask lawmakers to override the veto.

    Under the bill, people would contact the state to apply for the
service. It would be available by converting computer text into synthetic
voice distributed through a toll-free phone line.

    In his veto message dated last Friday, Fletcher said he directed
Secretary Virginia Fox to set aside money to carry out the program.

    "We were able to accomplish the same thing with existing resources,"
Fletcher chief of staff Daniel Groves said Monday night.

    Westrom, D-Lexington, said the measure could affect 300,000 blind and
disabled Kentuckians. She said she was told the governor objected to the
proposed surcharge because he considered it a tax.

    "I questioned then, how could I possibly even consider your 'tax
modernization' plan when you're asking me to consider tax increases for
cigarettes, beer" and telecommunications services, Westrom said.

    Fletcher's tax plan is a combination of tax increases and tax cuts that
he says would be "revenue neutral" at the outset. Most of the reductions
would be on individual and corporate income taxes.

    Westrom estimated the surcharge would amount to about 10 to 12 cents
each year on a residential telephone bill. She said people wouldn't mind
paying such a small amount to give the visually impaired access to
information "that we take for granted every day."

    "There's not one person in this state that doesn't look down on the
ground at least once a year and see a dime in the dirt," she said.

    Under the bill, the state Public Service Commission would determine how
often the fee would be assessed, depending on funding needs.

    Westrom said the service is expected to cost $250,000. She said the
governor's alternative funding would shortchange the program.

    "They are going to take $40,000 from the education budget, which is
already strapped," she said. "And they think they can take care of all the
subscribers and have state employees do the marketing, as if they don't
have enough to do."

    The legislation is House Bill 262 .