VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Steuerwalt, Jon C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steuerwalt, Jon C.
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:03:51 -0400
Kelly and other interested listers,

It's pretty clear from poking around the NFB website
<http://www.nfb.org/seal/intro.htm> that achieving certification requires a
fee.  From my reading of the website, it also appears that certification
relies heavily on compliance with at least that subset of the W3C's Web
Accessibility Guidelines that's related to accessibility for screen reader
users.  Not only does this certification process appear to ignore the
accessibility needs of people who are otherwise disabled, but it appears to
ignore the accessibility needs of non-Windows screen reader users.

If the NFB casts itself as a web accessibility certfiying agent for
nonvisual users, will the organizations representing people with other types
of disabilities try to sell web accessibility certification for their
constituents?  If successful, that would be a nightmare for website
developers.

Other than NFB, who's really served by this certfication process for an
individual segment of the population when accessibility standards for all
users already exists?  That the Social Security Administration and a few
other businesses believe its to their advantage to buy their annual
certfication from NFB only goes to show that NFB has learned to leverage its
political clout and/or its ability to litigate into a fund-raising
technique.

Jon