From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:47:10 -0400
>I have a question about Omega 3 stability.  I see frequent discussion about
>how unstable the O3's are, so wouldn't they be destroyed by cooking
>heat?  Yet we talk about cooking all of these foods and eating them for
>their O3 content.

If they are soft-boiled the Omega 3, which I presume would be in the yolk,
is hot to be sure but probably not at enough of a temperature nor long
enough of a time (4 minutes) to do any damage. I know that at three minutes
at a gentle boil, the yolk is still coolish.

Also, if you visit the Flax Council of Canada website
(http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/) they have done studies indicating that Omega 3
(in Flax) can withstand fairly high temperatures for considerably longer
periods of time than egg-boiling and still retain their goodness. So the oil
appears to be a little tougher than we may otherwise think. Even frying them
I would think would not do too much damage because of the short period of
time involved.

After I buy flax seed oil, I immediately put it into the freezer and use it
always returning it to the freezer immediately after use.

Marilyn