From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 05:46:37 -0500
>On Thu, 30 May 2002, Jim Swayze wrote:
>> They foreign proteins don't get in.  Just
>> like whole corn goes mostly undigested, my theory is that the proteins in
>> whole wheat flour aren't absorbed as well as those in white flour.
>> Whatever makes the wheat "whole" buffers against absorption by the
>> digestive system.

On Thu, 30 May 2002 16:38:47 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>But where is the evidence for this?  It's clear that part of the
>corn is undigested, but clearly a great deal of it is digested or
>people like the Tarahumara wouldn't be able to live on it.

There *is* something in the protein-containing parts of most cereals
(exception: rice) that hinders digestion. Not of protein or starch but of
minerals. Phytin and some more, are concentrated on the outer shell area,
where the protein is (exception: rice has protein inside as well).
Mineral defficiency can be deadly.
Old cultures have their traditions how to reduce the phytin, enhance the
mineral availability. So that the full corn, including it's protein can be
eaten.
Todays white flour eater and some of the health food bakeries
must have forgotten this.

regards

Amadeus S