From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 09:46:52 -0500
Thanks to Jim Walsh for his well reasoned response to my "90%" post.  As
always, he made some very good points and got me thinking.

I can see how that 10% might be vital to "borderline" cases (if I may call
it that). Maybe an explanation for how far that 90% has taken me will help
to show why I so quickly grow weary of the minutiae.

I am 35 years old.  Three years ago -- when I started eating paleo -- I was
not particularly overweight.  I guess I was normal for a guy in his early
thirties.  I weighed 22 pounds more than I do today and, although I worked
out frequently, physically I was miserable.  I had awful allergies,
frequent sinus infections, joint stiffness (especially in the morning),
problems with gas and bloating, lack of energy, depression, a bum shoulder
and big toe, and what was worst of all, recurrent apthous ulcers in my
mouth (2-3 lesions per week in my mouth).

Within one week of starting the plan, I had lost 7 pounds and was feeling
pretty good about that.  What amazed me even more, though, was the fact
that my allergies were GONE.  Absolutely gone.  I brought fresh flowers
home to my wife for the first time since we were dating.  With the
allergies also went my joint pain, gas and bloating.  My shoulder and my
big toe -- old football injuries from high school --  both healed!  No
problem with energy either.  I had an overabundance, so much so that I
could not sleep well at first.  (I quickly got used to that).  But the
thing I loved the most is that the mouth ulcers went away!  I've had them
twice now in three years, both of which came as a result of cheating.

Perhaps this might help to explain why it is that I lack patience for folks
who claim to be confused about the 10%.  To me, it's so night and day
between pre-paleo and post-paleo, I've come so far that the other talk
seems like winning a free Mercedes in a contest but bickering with the guy
who delivers the car over the color of the floor mats.

I promise to remember that not everyone's experiences mirror mine.

Thanks again JW.

Jim Swayze