From:
Marianne Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:40:01 -0400
Fawn wrote:

RDA guidelines are the minimum amount required to avoid a deficiency.
There are not really optimal amounts, or even amounts required for good
health - just minimums for avoided deficiency related diseases (i.e.,
rickets, scurvy, etc.).

Why don't you do an internet search on "Vitamin A Toxicity" and post the
actually max level.  (I would do it, but I don't have internet access
here - just email.)

Here's what I found online. still sounds scary to me. For people who don't
have Internet access, see below. otherwise, see
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/g2601/0014/2601001462/p1/article.jhtml.
How do these figure compare to the amount in cod liver oil at the doses
you'd have to take to get enough EPA/DHA?

Vitamin D
Vitamin D and vitamin A are the most toxic of the fat-soluble vitamins. The
symptoms of vitamin D toxicity are nausea, vomiting, pain in the joints, and
loss of appetite. The patient may experience constipation alternating with
diarrhea, or have tingling sensations in the mouth. The toxic dose of
vitamin D depends on its frequency. In infants, a single dose of 15 mg or
greater may be toxic, but it is also the case that daily doses of 1.0 mg
over a prolonged period may be toxic. In adults, a daily dose of 1.0 to 2.0
mg of vitamin D is toxic when consumed for a prolonged period. A single dose
of about 50 mg or greater is toxic for adults. The immediate effect of an
overdose of vitamin D is abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting. Toxic doses
of vitamin D taken over a prolonged period of time result in irreversible
deposits of calcium crystals in the soft tissues of the body that may damage
the heart, lungs, and kidneys.

Vitamin A
Vitamin A toxicity can occur with long-term consumption of 20 mg of retinol
or more per day. The symptoms of vitamin A overdosing include accumulation
of water in the brain (hydrocephalus), vomiting, tiredness, constipation,
bone pain, and severe headaches. The skin may acquire a rough and dry
appearance, with hair loss and brittle nails. Vitamin A toxicity is a
special issue during pregnancy. Expectant mothers who take 10 mg vitamin A
or more on a daily basis may have an infant with birth defects. These birth
defects include abnormalities of the face, nervous system, heart, and thymus
gland. It is possible to take in toxic levels of vitamin A by eating large
quantities of certain foods. For example, about 30 grams of beef liver, 500
grams of eggs, or 2,500 grams of mackerel would supply 10 mg of retinol. The
livers of polar bears and other arctic animals may contain especially high
levels of vitamin A.