From:
Janice Hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:30:45 -0400
>From:    Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I quit coffee for a long time until I read about >flourine levels in tea and

Hmm, can you elaborate on flourine levels in tea?  I've been drinking a good bit of green tea since I stopped drinking coffee.

>From:    Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: olive oil
>
>i can't stand the taste of extra virgin olive >oil, i was wondering if
>anyone here actually likes it?

I keep trying to, but I really don't!  It even smells funny to me.  I can tolerate some of the lighter olive oils better.  I made some mayonaise with the extra-virgin stuff, and I couldn't eat it because it smelled so odd to me.  Some quirk of my biochemistry, I guess.

>From:    Peter Constantinidis
>Subject: Food cravings, sugar, etc.
>
>I do have trouble with cravings though.. 3 >kinds.. chocolate cake (or any
>baked dessert goods), cheese and pizza.

What I REALLY REALLY miss and crave are the salty, cruncy foods -- potato chips, pretzels, stuff like that.  I've managed to be very heroic recently and turn down some of my favorite non-paleo foods (banana pudding, Scottish shortbread and Eccles cakes at local the Highland Games last weekend.)  The Eccles cakes were particularly hard to resist because I would only find them at Highland Games, and for some reason I just really love them.  Also, my dad & my brother thought it would be funny to buy one and eat it in front of me and tease me about it.  (Not as mean as it sounds -- actually, it helped strengthen my resolve to stay paleo.)

I look at foods like that with an addict's attitude.  I KNOW how addicted I was to those foods.  My basic feeling is if I start cheating, I probably won't stop.  I have a pretty realistic idea of the strength of my willpower.  :-)

God bless anybody who can cheat on a diet and go back to it without ill effects!  I just don't think I could.

But boy do I miss potato chips.

Janice in GA