From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:04:22 -0400
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Rebecca Fincher wrote:

> I'm just wondering if anyone who has any experience with this might offer
> another explanation as to why Becky's migraines returned.  Anyone out there
> using paleo diet or something similar to manage hypoglycemia?

I think there's a good chance that Becky's headaches are indeed
caused by hypoglycemia.  Blood glucose really does have to stay
within bounds, and if it drops too low there can be all sorts of
symptoms.  When dietary carbs are *very* low, blood glucose must
be maintained by means of gluconeogenesis, and this process may
not be as efficient as it should be in all persons, all the time.
I'd like to think that anybody can adapt, but there seem to be
some people who simply *never* do.  That is, through sheer will
power they stay very low carb for weeks or months, and feel as
terrible at the end as they did at the beginning.  I think it's a
small number who are affected like this, but I'm sure it's
greater than zero.

The solution, to eat more carbs, certainly doesn't require anyone
to eat nonpaleo foods, however.

Todd Moody