From:
jdynbttn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:18:14 -0400
> Thanks, Richard.  It's nice to have someone to talk to about this
> stuff.  When I was on Atkins, my family wasn't very supportive.

hi Wendy,
you'll either get used to the non-support, or you'll convert them.  also, i
find people seem to derive great joy from telling me that i'm going to get
sick and die from eating this way, either because 'all that fat will clog
your arteries', or, and this is a popular one, 'i heard them-there
high-protein diets ruin your kidneys'.  i point out that 1) paleo is not
necessarily 'high-protein' and 2) i've been eating this way for 5 years, and
not only am i not dead, i'm healthy as the proverbial horse.
the first few days without sugars are rough, i recall headaches as i went
thru the withdrawal.  but once you get used to it, even a small bit of sugar
will seem almost sickeningly sweet to your taste buds.  i use small amounts
of both honey and maple syrup from time to time, and a little goes a long
way.
good luck,
JoAnn.