From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:32:11 +0900
Hello Paleos,

Since starting eating paleo last year I have noticed (boy have I
noticed!) a steep decline in the number and severity of migraine
headaches. That started the first week after I began paleo. Whereas I
sometimes had several migraines a week, I went to about one a month,
of much lower intensity. They seem to be getting further and further
apart. That alone is reason enough for me not to go back to eating as
I had before. Wheat seems to be the biggest factor for me. The
migraines continue to decline in frequency and intensity.

Which brings me to the point of this long introduction. Today is a
migraine day, mild fortunately, the first in a while. I can take a
handful of various pills, and usually kill it in a few hours that way.
Ibuprofen usually works well, and tylenol (which I avoid) but I would
rather avoid using them if I could. The alternative is to spend the
day functioning at half speed at best. I take the drugs.

Can any of you suggest ways to reduce migraine headache pain without
drugs? I know several, which sometimes work well and sometimes not,
listed below.

Wake up early. My migraines almost always occur on days I sleep in
late. Don't know why. Sleeping flat on my back seems to help too.

Prevent constipation. They are linked, bad days for one are often for both.

Drink a big glass of water. Probably related to the point above.

Get a deep foot massage. This often works wonders. My wife uses her
heels and full body weight to deep massage my feet. Ahhh...(I do the
same for her)

Avoid foods which set it off. For me, wheat and citrus. Wheat reliably
will result in a  migraine the next day, citrus is usually ok unless I
already am starting a migraine, then it feels worse.

A cold shower sometimes helps a lot. Hot showers don't.

Accupressure strongly to the meat between the thumb and first finger.
Works ok for mild headaches. Interesting, in Japan this is believed to
be the spot to use accupressure on if you are constipated.

A nap. Often a short 15 minute nap completely cures a migraine. Hard
to arrange at work...

Deep breathing, good posture. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

Outdoor exercise. Seems to feel better while I am doing something
outdoors, sometimes goes away completely.

Using a combination of all of the above makes migraine tolerable. None
always works, including the drugs. I would appreciate any suggestions
you might have.