C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:20:20 -0400
Is sorghum like molasses, then? Molasses on hot buttered biscuits... Hmmm. Now you're talking!!! :-)

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/18/02 08:18AM >>>
My great uncle had a sorghum press, Beth.  He had this mule that would walk
round and round, rolling two steel bearings on a millstone.  You'd shove the
cane or sorghum into the press on one side and the sap would run down a
sluice on the other.  Once he'd run up several dozen gallons into a tub,
he'd light a fire under the tub and boil it down into molasses.  Depending
on how far he cooked the stuff down, you could get everything from a light
syrup to solid sugar.  He'd let is grandkids and the cousins (I was one)
chew on the pressed cane.  It was better than candy, IMHO!

Did your stepmom press her own or did she buy it somewhere?  Was it
"blackstrap"?  Ugh!  That stuff is too strong for me.

-Kyle