C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:09:01 -0400
   my dad bought me a 1962 rambler clasic for 60 dollars. it was more bundo
than metal. he actually wealded a sheet of tin on the bottom of that car so
i could not see the road under it. no lie, the truth. drove it 8 years and
sold it for 60 dollars. i took it to college. i remember once it was as cold
as i remember it being in central alabama. people with new chevys and fords
could not get there pretty new cars started. i was packing that old car up
to go home for a weekend and they were all giving me the hoo haw, but there
mouths droped  open when i turned the swithch and that old car started and i
said "so long suckers.: and drove off.
  the frame was rusted in two in one place and it shook from 40-60 miles and
hour. i'd stay under 40 until i was going down hill so i could pick up speed
quicker. i broke a selfwinding watch because it shook so much.
  in talladega, my home town there is a huge race track for nascar. when i
was a senior they were opening that track up. they had something new for a
small town (women depety sherrifs). they were guarding the entrance to that
track. now i had a runny buddy that was 1 year behind me in school. we both
had this sense of humor. one of us could throw out  a line and the other
could pick up on it and run. girls nevert stood a chance on a double date.
we could make anything sound credible. anyway, i drove out to the track in a
car that most were amazed that it ran at all and the depety ask if  she
could help me. so i ask " can you tell me how to get on the track?" "i'm
sorry but you can't get on the track." my buddy who had only a second to
hear my line started in immedately sounding like he was just outraged "we've
worked on this engine for 3 weeks without resting a single day getting it
ready for this track and you are not going to let us on the track?" " i am
sooo sorry, but, you can not get on the tract."  anyway after about 15
minutes of exchanging this kind of stuff and the lady profusely appolgiing
but, rremaining steadfast that she could not allow us on the track, i drove
off still fringing frustration. i stopped behind another building and we
laughed our fool heads off. if she'd have told us to go ahead that car would
have fell off the banks of that tract. you have to do at least 90 to not
fall off the tract. they get better than 200 miles and hour on the straights
. i bet that lady had fun telling her co-workers about those two hillbilly
boys wanting on the tract in that rustbucket, but, we had lots of fun
pulling that kind of prank.

  oh, the drivers side door was the only one that would open from the
inside. the other three had to be opened from the out side.  we never told
the girls thast until the doors were closed. the front seats were suposed to
be adjustable, but, ther were either up all the way or down. i'd fringe that
the seat was too straight up  and let me put it in a more cofortable
position for you. of course when i touched the leaver it was immedatly flay
back and my date would be looking up at me laying flat back. i would be
cracking up. great fun.
  i enjoyed that beat up old car.