Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 07:56:39 -0500
On Wed, 1 May 2002 09:31:29 +0900, Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> It's interesting, though, that the elderly man who ate 20-25 eggs
>> per day for years (reported some time ago in NEJM) suffered no
>> signs of vitamin A toxicity.  I wonder how that is possible.

25 eggs, how much is it? Say 1 kg (2 lbs).
Vitamin A is only at double RDA. not enough for toxicity.
Toxicity might start at 5 to 10-fold RDA from reported cases.

>the "worst" diet they had ever
>discovered, according to their diet prescription. He was eating
>nothing but raw eggs washed down with cheap red wine.
>..., he was in excellent health, and showed no signs of heart
>disease. An amazing admission!

Did he have hair on his head?
Miraculous is IMO mainly that raw egg-white contains avidin, which destroys
one of the b-vitamins, biotin I think.
How could he survive this?
Maybe he had hours with a dietary source without the simultaneuos avidin.

100g Eggs are 70% energy of RDA (the rest from wine is fine) 230% protein,
most vitamins fine, except zero of Vitamin C of course. Actually that's the
proof that "nothing else" is simply wrong.
And 4000mg Cholesterol. In the absence of other risk factors
like lp(A) -- might be tolerable for some years.

Amadeus